I don't make a lot of sauces. I can make several dozen but we eat pretty cleanly here.
But on special occasions this kicks butt. Don't believe the snobby wisdom that canned or jarred truffles aren't worth eating. They are not the same as fresh truffles but for a sauce like this they are fantastic. I buy mine from Pistol River Mushrooms. Right now a small jar of truffle peelings (perfectly good for this) are less than $7 and whole truffles are less than $8.
1 half of a black truffle or the same amount of chopped truffles
1 onion, diced very finely
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 oz dried mushrooms, any kind
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 tablespoon Madeira or Marsala
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
If you make the steaks in a frying pan you can take them out and make this sauce in the pan while the meat is resting.
Soak the dried mushrooms in a cup of hot water for at least 15 minutes. I start them before I cook the steaks.
Saute the onion and fresh mushrooms in the butter until the onions are just translucent and not browned. Add the truffle, tomato paste and the garlic and cook, stirring constantly for a minute.
Add the liquid from the dried mushrooms and if they are tender enough, chop and add them. Off the heat add the Madeira or Marsala then cook for another minute (being careful as it might flame up).
Add the cream and reduce everything over high heat for a minute until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a sauceboat and it won't be long until the groans of pleasure begin!
No comments:
Post a Comment